There is some way to go for the pet trade can be called sustainable, and we are only in the very earliest phase now . So please help us by giving your feedback!
- First we need to find out whether end users (pet keepers) are willing to buy sustainably bred pets at a significantly higher price. Want to help? Take our Facebook Poll.
- Develop the general idea in more detail (This is the current phase, so please pitch in and give us your ideas and feedback)
- Establish contacts with current producers of sustainably produced pets.
- Establish contacts with the people who now deal in sustainably produced pets.
- If the producers and dealers (point 3 and 4) agree, we will apply for funding to research the possibility to initiate a certification system that ensures end users that the pets they buy are sustainably produced.
- We will need to set up a control system (injected microchips, genetic screening) from breeder/rancher to pet keeper (the full ‘Chain of Custody’).
- After an initial trial phase on a very limited scale, using only the most trusted producers, the results need to be evaluated.
- If successful, we will apply for funding to further develop the control system.
- When the control system is fully operational, further breeders/ranchers can be added to the system.
- Other animal groups can be added beyond the initial reptiles and amphibians.
Your suggestions to this road map would be much appreciated.